Friday, November 12, 2010

More Cake.

I know. Sorry.  I told you I had some catchin' up to do.

Em and I team-baked a couple weeks ago. The occasion? ...rainy day... yes. That's what we are going with: It was a rainy day cake.   It was also my first attempt to cracking the Jeff's Mom's Chocolate Cake mystery.

There's bad news and good news. The bad news: the cake was nothing like Jeff's Mom's. The good news: our cake was utterly delicious. AND! I get to keep searching for a Jeff's Mom's clone!  win!

Em and I made a devil's food cake.  It was light, fluffy and scrumptious.  It didn't have any melted chocolate in the recipe, just cocoa powder, which is probably why it was so light and fluffy.

We topped it with cream cheese frosting -  Which was an ordeal to say the least. Jenny forgot to pick up powdered sugar - oops.   We called the 7-11 by my house... Yes! They carry powdered sugar! Who would have thought?    So we put our rain boots and jackets on and walk over.   Oh... wait... no powdered sugar... apparently you shouldn't trust the average 7-11 worker to know the difference between granulated and powdered sugar.  Lesson learned. 

Does this stop us? No! What do you do when the going gets tough?? The tough make their own powdered sugar!  Yes, that's right, dear reader! We put regular granulated sugar into a food processor and let 'er rip. And, in about 5 very noisy minutes, we had "almost powdered sugar. " It worked beautifully. I happen to think the frosting tasted that much better because of our effort.

picture does not do it justice.  Anyone want to give me photography lessons?

Em frosted and decorated. She is amazing. It was almost too pretty to eat.... but we got over that pretty quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment