Thursday, July 29, 2010

what I'm excited about.

I get excited pretty easily. Especially for things that only have one use.... I'm not kidding. That wasn't sarcasm.  I absolutely love things like grilled cheese makers and madeleine pans. I mean, really, what can you make in a grilled cheese maker besides the most perfect grilled cheese sandwiches? 

I went to the kitchen store at the Petaluma Outlet Mall a couple of months ago. I walked inside with a single purpose.... One particular gadget that was going to fulfill my wildest dreams of happiness. Finally, I can sleep at night, my life will be complete.  And, after 45 minutes of looking at every other single item in the store (what? A girl can look, can't she?) I walk up to the counter, slap down my item and pull out the ol' debit card.  The cashier could not have taken longer. She picks up my gadget slowly, turning it around a couple of times to analyze the shape.  "What is it?" she asks.  "A cherry pitter," I say, adding stupidly "it pits cherries." 

And after an agonizing 47 seconds, the debit card is processed, the receipt is in my hand, and a little bag containing my cherry pitter is finally handed over.  I almost push an elderly woman to the side on my way out of the door. Don't these people realize I have cherries to pit? Get out of the way! 

I get home. I throw my purse down, and immediately start on the cherries. Oh! So much faster! So easy to do!  My life is complete!   ...I made a cobbler. It was delicious. 

...I have not used the cherry pitter since. But I love my cherry pitter. I love that it lives in my drawer, and if I ever have a whim to make cherry pie, it will be there... waiting.   And it wasn't until 2 months later, when I saw this:  

Fred & Friends Cakewich

that I realized my wildest dreams of happiness could only be fulfilled by a baking pan that makes cakes shaped like a sandwich.   Fear not, Dear Reader. Amazon has shipped it. I'll be waiting by the door when it arrives.

1 comment: