Thursday, August 12, 2010

summer ratatouille bruschetta

Yes, I know that I'm mixing cultures here. But to be honest, I can't see myself eating a big bowl of straight up ratatouille. Its way way too flavorful. You know what I mean? Or am I crazy?

Meanwhile, I still have a whole box of organic tomatoes, onions, zucchini and eggplant. Just sitting there. Waiting for me to eat them.  The compromise?  Dice up the ingredients smaller and slap the resulting ratatouille on some grilled toast. Now that's an idea I can get behind.

  ingredients!
Summer Ratatouille Bruschetta


2 Tablespoons Olive Oil (if you call it EVOO I will punch you)
1/2 medium onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 eggplant, 1/2" diced
1 zucchini, 1/2" diced
1 red bell pepper, 1/2" diced
2 tomatoes, 1/2 " diced

1 can Fire Roasted Crushed Tomatoes (14oz)
fresh herbs: thyme, oregano, lavender - whatever floats your boat. 

1 french baguette



1. Heat olive oil in large pan over medium high heat. Saute onion and garlic until soft (about 5 minutes), stirring constantly.
2. Add eggplant to pan, cook for 5 minutes. Add zucchini, red bell pepper to pan, cook for 3-4 minutes. Add tomatoes, canned tomatoes, and herbs. Stir briefly and cover pan. 
3. Let cook, covered for 10 minutes.  Uncover, reduce heat to low, and cook for another 30-40 minutes, or when most of the liquid in the pan has cooked off. 
4. In the meantime, slice up the baguette, brush with olive oil and throw them on the grill. Grill for about 1 minute on each side.  OR! place oiled slices on a baking sheet and toast in a 425 degree oven. (about 5 minutes)

Easy, right? 

End result!

2 comments:

  1. yum. I love bruschetta. I'm afraid Wren may not enjoy it so much with all the acid in tomatoes. btw, why are egg plants called egg plants? They're purple! I know of no eggs that are purple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. how nerdy is this: i just spent the better part of a half hour researching the history of eggplant. Apparently it was named that by Europeans in the 18th century because it was the same size and shape of a goose egg. So there you go.

    ReplyDelete